Sunday, January 13, 2013

Game Day Challenge

The quest for a Super Bowl ring is coming to a close, so I've decided to tackle 
a fan favorite: Buffalo Wings. 

The challenge: How to make crispy, flavorful wings without frying.

I found that simply baking them gave me chewy, flavorless wings. These were not 
going to win the game. What to do? I thought about pan frying first, but I really wanted 
to avoid any extra fat or oil. There must be a way to make great wings without frying 
them. After a few trials, finally, the best wings I've ever had. It's a little more involved 
than I would have liked, but well worth the effort. 

Buffalo Wings: 10-12 Chicken Wings
1TBS Salt
1TBS Pepper

For the sauce:

2oz Franks Red Hot
1tsp Texas Pete
1Tbs Butter
2Tbs Brown Sugar

Optional: If you like hotter wings like me, I suggest adding 1 or 2 minced fresh 

peppers of your choice. I like Habenero, and Jalapeno.

I personally prefer chicken drumettes, but you can use any kind. If you use whole 
chicken wings, you will need to separate them first. To do this, find the joint with 
a very sharp knife, and slice through. You should also remove the pointed end. 
Discard the ends, or save them to use for stock. 
Fill a large pot with one to two inches of water, and bring to a boil. Place your wings 
in a steamer basket, and steam them for ten minutes. Remove from the basket and 
place them on a cooling rack in a paper towel lined cookie sheet. Put them in the 
refrigerator for 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees
Bake wings for 15-20 minutes on each side. Remove from oven.
Over medium heat, melt butter and saute peppers if used. Whisk in the remaining 
ingredients and heat through. Pour sauce and wings into a large bowl and coat evenly. 
Serve warm.


No comments:

Post a Comment